Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Getting Healthy-Diabetes Edition: Meals Plans and Math!

After Diagnosis and meeting with my Dietician
After being diagnosed and put on medication, I knew I had to do my part, so I began researching diabetes meal plans, exercises and ways I could start to lose weight.  I already knew that the recommended daily calories intake should not exceed over 2000 calories and not to go below 1200 calories per day.  So calories wise, I knew what my standard basics were.  What I didn’t know was Carbohydrates and how they affected my overall health and not just my diabetes. 

About a week later I had an appointment with my dietician and I learned many new things I never knew before.  She basically gave me a lot of great reading material and a broken down meal plan of 1500 calories a day with only a max of 160 carbohydrates per day.  But it wasn’t as easy as it looked.  So I had to break it down even further!  



Nova Nordisk Inc grants permission to reproduce this piece for nonprofit educational purposes only on condition that the piece is maintained in its original format and that the copyright notice is displayed.


So I looked at the page and said alright, but it was still a little confusing to me; talking about carb exchanges, starches, and etc.  So I had to do a little more research for myself to fully grasp this concept.  I wanted to truly understand how all this worked, so I used good ole’ google and started searching. Here are some of my notes:

  • 3 main component of food:
    • carbohydrates (1 gram carb= 4 calories)
    • Protein (1 gram protein= 4 calories)
    • Fat (1 gram fat= 9 calories)

  • Carbohydrates consist of:
    • Sugar (1 gram= 4 calories)
    • Starch
    • Fiber
Sugar and Starch are basically sugar.  All carbs except for Fiber convert to Glucose!

  • Some Math
    • 1 tsp of sugar= 4 grams of sugar = 16 grams of carbs (4 carb grams x 4 calories in 1 carb)
    •  (1 serving size of carbs) aproximatley = 15 total grams carbs




  • Types of Carbohydrates
    • Good Carbs
      • Takes about 40 minutes to metabolize
      • Also known as Unrefined Carbs or Complex Carb
      • Foods are high in vitamins and minerals: whole grains, uncooked vegetables, mulit-grains, etc.
    • Bad Carbs
      • Metabolizes instantly or less than 40 minutes
      • Also known as Refined Carbs or Simple Carbs
      • Foods are processed that remove vitamins and minerals: sugars, honey, candy, soft drinks, jams and jellies, etc.

  • Daily Recommendations:
    • 45%-65% of your daily calorie intake should be from carbohydrates
    • 20%-35% of your daily calorie intake should be from fats
    • 10%-35% of your daily calorie intake should be from protein
    • women who are under 50 years of age should aim for 25g of fiber per day
    • men who are under 50 years of age should aim for 38g of fiber per day

Putting it Together
For example only: using the following as Daily Recommendations:
·        45% carbs
·        20% fats
·        10% protein
·        25% fiber
Add these up and you should get 100% of daily recommendations.  So with a 1500-calorie meal plan you should have a daily intake of:

  • 168.75 grams of Total Carbs
    • .45x1500=675/4=168.75
    • that’s 45% times 1500 calorie meal plan divided by 4 (# of calories in 1g carb)

  • 33.333 grams of Fats
    • .20x1500=300/9=33.3333333
    • that’s 20% times 1500 calorie meal plan divided by 9 (# of calories in 1g fat)

  • 37.5 grams of Protein
    • .10x1500=150/4=37.5
    • that’s 10% times 1500 calorie meal plan divided by 4 (# of calories in 1g of protein)

  • 42.1875 grams of Fiber (A part of Total Carbs)
    • Remember that Fiber is a part of carbs, so:
      • .25x168.75=42.1875
    • Therefore the remaining balance of carbs should be from sugar and starches
      • 168.75-42.1875= 126.5625
    • Note: I find it harder to manage each gram of Fiber in contribution to overall Total Carbohydrates therefore I do not break this down when I am counting my percentage for the day.  Instead I use the grams of Total Carbohydrates!

To Find # of Servings per Carbs:
  • Remember 15g carbs= 1 serving
  • So Total # of Carbs= 168.75 grams
  • To Find # Per Serving= 168.75/15= 11.25
So that is a total of 11.25(servings of carbs) on a 1500-calorie meal plan!

NOTE! My advice is to count your Fats, Proteins and Total Carbohydrates!  Fiber is important but monitoring the percent of Fats, Proteins, and Total Carbohydrates that contributes to your total overall intake of calories makes it easier to manage and count. 


Overview of a 1500-Calorie Meal Plan
Daily Recommendations:
  • 168.75 grams of Total Carbs (45% of Calories)
  • 33.333 grams of Fats (20% of Calories)
  • 37.5 grams of Protein (10% of Calories)

So it just comes down to doing your math homework to understand what exactly is recommended for you based on what your doctor and dietician suggest!  Personally, I find it easier to count Total Calories, Fats, Total Carbs and Proteins.  Others find it easier to pick from a list of food that they know that has been put into categories that have been suggested for weight loss. Basically, use what works for you! 

What I have learned: One size does not fit All!
Through all of this, I have learned that everyone is different.  My body uses things differently than another person and that is okay.  It just may mean that I have to work longer and harder to get the results I need but in the end, what matters is that I am changing my life and getting healthier! 

Through this, I have realized that sugar is some what like a drug.  That we should consume sugar in low doses and really understand what sugar does to our body.  I think a good diet includes low sugar and low refined carbs, and not necessarily specific foods but rather good quality foods that are high in fiber with good qualities of protein and fat.  According to nutritionmd.org, a study they did indicated “people who ate at least 3 servings of whole grain a day have a 20%-30% lower risk of diabetes!”  They recommended a diet low in fat, and high in fiber and carbs, and I would believe they mean unrefined, complex carbs.

Basically, when it all comes down to it everyone needs to do their own research, make notes, ask questions, and get additional help if needed.  If something just isn’t “clicking” get answers!  There is no pre-designed meal plan for each individual, such as the 1500-calorie meal plan in this post, but it is merely a suggestion on how to get started.  Use your resources and make a plan that suits you, your lifestyle and your goals! 

It’s not going to be easy, it will be worth it!


Here are some additional resources I received from my dietitian: 

Cornerstones4care: This is a wonderful resource with tons of information! Online through the site, you can make meal plans, track your progress, and lo your every move!

SweetSuccess.gov | SweetSuccess.org A great online resource for pregnant women who already have diabetes or pregnant women who have gestational diabetes!  Great resource to find what and how much you should eat while pregnant!

High Blood Sugar Pamplet

Low Blood Sugar Pamplet

What Is Diabetes Fact Sheet: Page Link | PDF Pamphlet

Prediabetes Pamplet

Type 2 Diabetes & Insulin: Page LinkPDF Pamphlet

Type 2 Diabetes Changes How & Why: Page LinkPDF Pamphlet

Checking your Blood Sugar Pamphlet: Page Link | PDF Pamphlet

Managing Diabetes safely during sick days Pamplet

Foot Care for people with Diabetes Pamphlet: Page Link | PDF Pamphlet

Keeping your feet active Pamphlet: Page Link | PDF Pamphlet

Reading a Nutrition Facts Label Pamplet: Page Link | PDF Pamphlet

Planning Healthy Meals Packet

Dining out with Diabetes Pamplet: Page Link | Pamphlet

A 1500-Calorie Meal Plan Pamplet: Pamphlet

Diabetes & You Booklet:  Page Link | PDF Booklet

Carb Counting and Meal Planing Booklet: Page Link | PDF Booklet

Sticking with it Healthy Recipes: Page Link

Various Calorie Meal Plans: Page Link





        

No comments:

Post a Comment